Monday, February 28, 2011

"Shooting Dad"

I chose to write a dialogue about the significance of "Shooting of Dad". Reading this story tells a lot about the daughter and father having extremely different views.  The father loving guns and the daughter loving art.  As a child the daughter always saw her and her father as completely different people and how they were so separated as she grew up.  She went with dad to try and shoot the guns but it just wasn't right for her.  As she matured and grew up she saw how really they were both people who loved art and had ver similar love for art even though it was a different kind of art.  She tried going along with dad again and watching him shoot off the canon.  The importance of "Shooting Dad"  is when she realized we really have a lot in common.  The daughter just looked at things in more of a positive way of what they had in common rather than what differences they have and how they aren't alike.  This cannon was eventually what brought the two of them together.  In the end, when dad passes away, he wants the daughter to put his ashes in the cannon and shoot him away on the first day of hunting season.  The daughter is willing to do this for the love of her father:-) 

I really enjoyed reading this article.  It's very sweet how the daughter at first was very separated by her father by what she thought was having been total opposites.  As she grew older and wiser she didn't fall in love with guns, but decided to look at the positive in it such as; they both loved art.  This was her way of showing dad how much she truely loved him and wanted him to see how much she really cared about him.  As we get older we see things differently that when we were younger.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dina,
    Wow, we wrote about the same topic. I liked this story very much in fact I found myself laughing aloud on many occasions. Did you happen to listen to the voice version? It was wonderful, she sounded like she was from Texas and it was very captivating. I like you thought that they had very different view on things, but I loved how they never let it become nasty. All family members argue from time to time about their differences, this father and daughter showed how it could be done with humor. I so enjoy coming to the part of the story were his daughter comes to the realization that her and her father as really more alike then she thought. I found that to be true in my own family as I matured I saw myself in both my mom and dad. In the story that daughter loved her dad so much that she wanted to give the whole gun thing a shot. I am glad she did, it brought them together in a way I believe nothing else could of. I also loved the end of the story, in the end even though she knew it would hurt to shot her dad's ashes out of that Cannon she was willing to feel that hurt, because she loved him so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I agree with you completely, sarah in the beginning didn't like the things her father liked, but she made an effort to fix that. She change their relationship in a better way. It's great how the cannon brought them together, they spent more time together. Im glad she did something for her father and her before he passed away. She doesn't feel regretful then before. Your response made it more interesting! I really liked how you said, "the daughter just looked at things in more of a positive way of what they had in common rather than what differences they have and how they aren't alike", this is true, they were different, but they both learned to not be. She knew it was wrong, so did something about it.She made her father proud!
    Thank You, Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sort of wrote about the same thing, how they enjoyed completely different things but then came to realize that they were both a form of art, just different kinds of arts. Like art can be anything and its everywhere and I really enjoyed the fact that her realization towards that brought them closer together. And I agree that she loved her dad so much she was willing to go ahead and try his thing even though she already knew it wasn't her thing. It was a sad, yet really happy story seeing how she grew and matured through love & understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dina,
    You are right, love motivates the author to put her feelings about guns aside. She is trying hard to be part of her father’s life and she knows that the only way to get closer to him is by putting their differences aside. I like how you mentioned “ As she grew older and wiser she didn't fall in love with guns, but decided to look at the positive “ , I believe this has to do with maturity and her being able to feel empathy for her father.

    ReplyDelete