Monday, February 14, 2011

Rules for Writers Chapter 2 Summary

There a some critical parts of a writing assignment that you need to have included in  your essay.  For starters there is the Rough draft.  But, even before that you want to gather all your notes, outlines, freewriting, diagrams ect.  Also, notes and blueprints will help you keep moving.  Next, draft your introduction by coming up with your main point.  The body develops it.  The introduction usually is 50-100 words long.  This is where you want to engage the reader and establish your a for writing.  Basically, it's your main point.  The sentence stating the main point is called the thesis.  The sentence leading to the thesis should hook the reader with a description, a question, an analogy, an anecdote, an example ect.  Next, draft the body.  The body of the essay develops and support for your thesis.  In drafting the body of your essay by writing a paragraph about each supporting point you listed in the planning stage. The next step is to attempt a conclusion.  The conclusion should remind the readers of the essay's main idea without completely repeating it.  It can be relatively short to sum up the essay.  You may want to make the conclusion memorable by including a detail, an example or an image.

I plan on using the structure of this essay plan.  I am going to start my essay by sorting through my notes, outlines and my freewriting log.  This will help me get started with the essay.  Then, I am going to draft my introduction that includes my thesis statement.  For my thesis statement, I am going to probably state something like who get's to celebrate their grandma's 87th birthday?  I will make key points of what we did at her 87th birthday party for the body.  Probably state the main points; the entire family came to celebrate, we all came together and had a buffet, and we all gathered to watch Nonie open her presents.  And, for the conclusion, just sum it all up without repeating the same thing I have already discussed.  This will have to state something about how we enjoyed my grandma's birthday and we look forward to doing it again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment