Thursday, May 5, 2011

All I asking For is my Body, part II, Dialogue

Why does Kiyoshi believe Obaban is a substitute for his mom?
There are a couple of reasons why I believe Kiyoshi believes Obaban is a substitute for his mom.  As Kiyoshi is taking care of his dying mother she tells him she is dying because someone did something bad and she is taking the reprocutions for it.  This is where the substitute comes from in the book.

Kiyoshi is taking care of his sisters and very ill mother.  His father is off to sea fishing.  This is what he does for a living.  As, Kiyoshi's mother is dying she procedes to tell him that she has been chosen for somone else's punishment. She believes somewhere down the line, in the family, someone did something bad and she is suffering because of it.  Kiyoshi's father doesn't believe in superstition.

Obanan tells Kiyoshi if she can find a "substitute" to take her place she will be ok.  Sadly, at the end of the story Abanan ends up dying.  Seems as if, she was her "substitute" afterall.

5 comments:

  1. I really like your insights about this story. You really break it down so that every one can understand and I really like this about your post. I agree with you that obaban was the one to take kiyoshi's mothers illness because she ended up passing away because of a stroke. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens next in this story. Thank you very much for the insights.
    Jarrod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I agree, it was very sad at the end of the reading because Obaban was the one who gave her advice, something to look forward to, but she dies. Obaban was a good person, she cared for Kiyoshi's family. I hate seeing her die, but it may not be entirely true about the superstition. His mother could possibly pass away still. We never know, but lets hope this doesn't happen.

    She really believed in such a thing, it would be painful if she really died. I liked how you mentioned the superstitions, it gave more meaning and you backed it up fully. Thanks for giving more to thing about!

    Thanks, Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading what you wrote, I hadn't thought that Obaban had chosen herself as the substitute. I had actually completely forgotten that she said that she'd help find one. Now that you brought it up, it makes even more sense as to why Kiyoshi would think that she's the substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    Going along with the superstition, I believe that Obaban was a good "substitute", she was older and lived a long life and she obvious had much love for Kiyoshi's mother. Although Kiyoshi was happy that the bad news was not regarding his mother, he was sad about Obaban and loved her as well.

    Thanks for sharing your ideas,
    Mandy Ericson

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that Obaban was the substitute. I was really interested in the fact she died for him. I think that Obaban wanted to put herself up because she new that she already had a life full of happiness. His mom did not and still had many years to live.

    Thank you
    -Callie

    ReplyDelete