Tuesday, May 10, 2011

All I asking for is my body

 Kiyo is the oldest brother.  Toshio fights with their parents when they expect him to fulfill his "filial duty" to repay the family's debt and when they refuse to allow Tosh and Kiyo to enroll in high school. Their culture teaches them that the oldest sibling is the one that has to pay the debt and the bills the family (Grandparents and parents) has accumulated.  Tosh claims that the money his parents made was stolen by the grandfather and that therefore it is not up to him to repay it; moreover, he argues that filial duty must be earned and that the parents haven't earned it. Still, Tosh goes along, giving the parents a combination of his and his wife's earnings. Kiyo, observing these problems, realizes he must resist being subservient; he eventually joins the Army, both to get away from home and to help his family with their income. The story goes on about how paying your family debts is the oldest sons’ responsibility.   At the end, Kiyo wins enough money in a barracks' gambling match to help Tosh pay off all the debt. 
The meaning of the title is that Toshio is fighting against his heritage and has his own mind in what he wants to do.  He believes Grandpa stole all their money and that it’s not anyone’s responsibility to   pay back any debt that Grandpa has and that Grandpa should pay it himself.   That is why this books title is “All I asking for is my body”.  He wants to do what he wants to do!!!!
What a cute story.   I really enjoyed the book.  I enjoyed reading about how the Japanese did things.  It’s so different than the things we do here but that’s what made it so interesting to readJ

5 comments:

  1. Hi Dina,

    The way Toshio interprets his grandfather's actions versus Mrs. Oyama's interpretation is telling of their perspectives. In Mrs. Oyama's perspective, grandfather is entitled to their labor and money; it's his right to use the money as he pleases, even if it means demanding a farewell party that his son must pay for. In contrast, Toshio sees grandfather as a "thief." He is not entitled to that money; rather, he steals money from its rightful owners.

    Each time I read this text, I'm struck by the way Tosh complains, yet he chooses to stay and pay off the debt, even after marrying.

    Thanks for your insights. I'm glad you enjoyed this book.

    Take care,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dina,
    Yes Tosh had a very strong personality and he was constantly standing up for his beliefs. He was not scared of framing his grandparent as a thief and truly believed that it was not his duty to repay the debt. However, he continued paying it and if it wasn’t for Kyo-Chan he would have work throughout his life repaying it. I don’t understand why after all his parents had done to him he was still loyal in repaying the debt. I totally disagreed with the parents reasoning and it made me really frustrated that they kept having children when they couldn’t even afford sending them to high school.
    Thanks,
    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  3. First thing I want to say to you is that I believe Tosh was the oldest, not Kiyoshi. It was really interesting to read about the Japanese culture back then. I think that the meaning of this title is that Tosh and Kiyoshi wanted to be freed from their parents' debt. They wanted to be able to do what they pleased with their life, start their own families etc. I was very happy to read that Kiyoshi had earned enough money after joining the Army to pay all of his parents debt. I bet that that brought a sense of relief and freedom to both Tosh and Kiyoshi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dina,
    I think that Tosh was a very brave kid. He new or had insight to what his grandfather had done, but his family still believed in tradition so nothing he could say was going to change that. I also admire him for sticking around and trying to pay off the debit, he may have been very vocal but what kid isn't these days. It was a surprise that he was so out spoke back in the day. I also respect the fact that he tried to make something of himself so that he would not have to live this way forever. They you have Kyo-Chan I never thought he would have left but in doing so it brought freedom that Tosh was asking for. All I asking for is my body. Well Kyo-chan was able to give that to him and all he hoped for was that his brother did something with it. I see a lot of unselfishness in these children. I like to believe that their own children never had to face this kind of slavery that Tosh and Kiyoshi did.
    Thanks for sharing
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Dina, Tosh seemed like a very bad son, he didn't understand his parents and wanted things to go his way. He was a very stubborn child and was very disrespectful. I know he kept saying how his grandfather stole his parents money, but he should've said things so disrespectfully. He shouldn't talk rudely towards anyone older than him.

    He felt a lot of pressure from his parents. They left a huge burden on him, to pay off the debt. He just wanted to live his own life. I think he needed to have a better understanding of his family. He was too selfish and was not considerate of others. Thanks, your post gave more to think about, you also provided a lot of details. Great work!

    Thanks,Lesley

    ReplyDelete